Format External Drive or USB Flash Drive for MAC: When we purchased any External Drive like hard drive or the USB Flash Drive, we need to format it first in case if we want to use it with the MAC computer. The External or Flash Drive often works on the Windows operating system but for MAC we need to format it then only it will work on that computer. The External Drive or the Flash Drive often come with the different set of file system which works on windows only like MSDOS, FAT32, ExFAT, NTFS, and FAT formats that Mac cannot understand. That’s why it become necessary for us to format it first then it will become easier for the device to run on the Mac environment.
We are providing you with the step-by-step guide on the process of formatting External Drive or USB for MAC Operating Systems
- Connect the External Drive or the USB flash drive to your Mac device.
- Go to the Applications, then Utilities to launch the Disk Utility.
- Identify your drive name from the left-hand side of the Disk Utility.
- Select on the name of your drive after that click on it.
- select the Erase by right click on it.
- Click on the option Format From the drop-down menu, choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
- Name the drive if you wish to or later you can also change it.
- Click on the Erase button on the popup menu.
- Confirm the action by clicking on Erase in the pop-up screen.
- Now, this process will format your External Drive or the USA Flash Drive which one you connected with it. It will take the time while formatting it and create the disk volume.
Don’t forget, formatting the External Drive or the USA Flash Drive will erase all the data from the drive, it will also delete the partition of the disk. In case if you want your data to take the backup of it before formatting it. Do not use the MAC OS drive into the windows because the interchange format will not work in windows. These steps are exclusively for the MAC supported devices only.
In case if you wish to make the Mac OS bootable disk drive, you have to repeat the above steps before making it.
Garry, he has been making the people aware of the security threats from so long to make the internet a safer place to browse on. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, Antivirus, malware, social networking, internet, and new media. He writes for Norton security products www.norton.com/setup. or norton.com/setup